Monday, April 12, 2010

Paying it forward in real life

As you know, I am huge fan of paying it forward; in fact, I try to live my life with paying it forward.



A couple of weeks ago, an opportunity presented itself to actually pay it forward in person.



Quite often, when I stay in Melbourne, I walk between the apartment and the office (roughly a 20-25 minute walk), and the walk is the perfect time to mentally prepare myself for the new day. So, yes it can be said, I am in a world of my own, but seeing something jolted me out of my own pre-occupiedness... an iPhone sitting in the gutter.



Now we all know I am not a fan of the iPhone but the sight intrigued me...it was clear someone must have lost it.



I remembered that there most likely would be some sort of screen lock & that proved simple. I noted it said it was Sim card locked, so the owner must have reported it lost.



Now to find the owner (yes, why would I even consider keeping the iPhone (I have no need for one) or giving it to any number of friends/family who wanted one...never even considered it; it was always going to be handed back to the rightful owner). I know how much an inconvenience it is setting up a BlackBerry from scratch, so only can imagine the same would be said of an iPhone.



Eventually I found the contacts folder, and yes, as you would expect, found Mum (doesn't everyone have Mum/Dad listed in their phone?). So I rang "Mum" and yes she had a son who owned an iPhone (seems he has a history of losing devices).



So Mum came to our office that afternoon and collected the iPhone. She was most appreciative, and she presented me with a home grown bottle of peach chutney to say thanks.



The son rang that afternoon, to express his gratitude. "There should be more people like you in the world" he said. I simply said that it was the only thing to do, but also that I much prefer BlackBerry to iPhone, so I was always going to give it back (hey, what else would you expect me to say?)...he took it very well.



So there you go...paying it forward in real life; it's not that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment