Monday, September 7, 2009

Saying goodbye to a phenomenal man

This week marked the passing of a truly great man...someone most of you won't know, and someone I had only know for a bit over 5 months.



My wife's Mother's brother-in-law, our Mosa, passed away peacefully (from all accounts; I wasn't present) last Tuesday. And he will be missed.



Mosa was not only present at our Hindu wedding back in March, but more importantly, he was both our Pundit (Hindu Priest) and our Civil Celebrant...he performed our wedding ceremony, and it was the last one he performed.



I met him for the first time about an hour before our wedding, and he instantly made me relax. Suffering a rare skin disorder, Mosa was literally as white as me, which really took me by surprise, and it sort of enhanced his Pundit "aura" in my mind.



Mosa ensured I was fully aware of what would and was happening, every step of the way, and I know from my family and friends' perspective (not to mention mine as well) this was hugely welcoming and comforting at the same time.



His keen sense of humour came into play a number of times during the ceremony (apparently my wife has to obey me! ;) ), and his patience for a Gora like me right in the middle of a Hindu wedding, was much appreciated.



But it was the two days after spent in Mosa's company that I was so lucky and fortunate to receive. For it was this time I was able to learn more about this great man's 80+ years of life's experiences...and there were many lessons learnt and still learning, as a direct result of our conversations, and time spent.



And it is not just me who obviously feels this way about Mosa...at his "public" funeral service, at least 500 people were in attendance, and the line of the people waiting to say goodbye seemingly took forever to run its course. He was well loved.



Mosa has gone to a better place, and we here are poorer for that. I now have someone else I can class as one of my life's guidance counselors; even though he has passed on, his memories and advice live on.



God rest his soul



Nameste

1 comment:

  1. As usual T - you have written beautifully and evoked a wonderful emotional response. I am sorry for your loss (and your wife's), but so glad to hear of the positive impact Mosa had on your life.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Shonah

    ReplyDelete